Friday 30 January 2015

Perfect Penzance







If you're looking for a quiet get away, Cornwall is your calling!


It was my first holiday ever away with my boyfriend and his family - I know, scary! The verdict: amazing!

For those who are questioning whether or not to go on holiday with your current partner and have any worries, then my advice to you would be - what are you waiting for! GO FOR IT!! Honestly, if you feel it will be awkward as you don't know his/her's parents very well, then that's even more reason to go. Get closer, get to know each other more! By the end of the week I knew Jamie's family a lot better than the first day we arrived and it has only enhanced my relationship with them since.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand; so this was the first time I've ever been to Cornwall on a holiday (my parents are all for 'going all out' when going on holiday, which resulted to some beautiful holidays abroad when I was younger) and it was everything people told me it would be: relaxing, charming, a slower pace of life...and I fell head over heels for it.


 


The car rolled up to the intimate drive behind the vintage cottage and we stepped out with bundles of luggage gathered in our arms, the salty warm breeze hitting us like a strong scent of Chanel perfume. It really was paradise - the cottage was a 10 minute walk from the cliffs which overlooked the turquoise sea smashing into the worn rocks below.

The cottage was located in the most minuscule village I have ever seen, next door to a local inn and opposite luxury, white washed detached houses. The cottage itself was cosy, the living room complete with a burgundy snug armchair and two comfortable sofas lined against the stone walls; Paintings possessed by boats and beaches ran along them and a large mirror hung just above the log fire mantelpiece. The kitchen had a wooden polished family table, with a platter of fresh scones, tubs of whipped cream and a home-made jar of strawberry jam carefully set down in the centre. A small breakfast bar with small compartments beneath them, cloaked with checked blue and white cloths, where cream platters and plates were hidden. Opposite the front door was the narrow staircase, leading up to the bedrooms and the bathroom. There were two double bedrooms and one with bunk beds, each room decked with wooden floorboards. The bathroom had a cerulean blue theme, with a walk-in shower and a small window facing the fields from behind the cottage. The entire home felt as if we were in a beach house - and as I fell more and more in love with the cottage as I inhaled and smelled the salty sea air.


One of my favorite days on holiday, was the first day we all went to the beach as the weather was promising. We had to be specific with beaches as my boyfriend's family had bought their Border Terrier Ella along, so we had to find a dog-friendly beach. Luckily we found one - £2 entry (bargain!!) and dog-friendly. It was perfect! Located right next to St Ives' local beach and small town, this beach (which I THINK is Porthmeor Cove although I may be wrong so don't hold me to my word) was littered with the clearest rock pools where me and my boyfriend would chill in as they were much warmer than the sea.

On this day, me, my boyfriend & his dad went in the sea as soon as we arrived - which, can I say, was the first time I've ever properly been in the sea, I mean I've paddled but Jamie and his dad went out really far. The waves got bigger and bigger and crashed into everyone. I was beginning to get a little nervous and we went out so far that I couldn't feel the sand beneath me - which panicked me. I told Jamie my concern with which he responded: 'okay, we'll head back,' and just as we began making our way back to the shore, the sea grew larger and larger into the biggest wave yet. I called out to Jamie before I was swallowed up and dragged beneath the water.

Now, you're probably thinking what the hell Charlie? Why go in the sea if you can't swim? Well as a matter of fact, I can, I'm just not an amazing swimmer; I'm used to swimming pools, not the sea! So anyway, I was dragged under and i pushed and swam my way up to the top of the surface - which appeared much more difficult than first planned - finally I reached the surface and went to yelp out but before I could even catch my breath I was pulled under again and, once again, I swam the hardest I've ever swam before to the surface and shrieked out for Jamie; I was petrified! Luckily, Jamie's an awful lot taller than me and a much better swimmer, and as I was dragged under again he came to my rescue and picked me up. The vicious waves perused once again, but this time Jamie fully went under and my head was just above the water, in courtesy of Jamie lifting me up.

We finally made it to the shallow shore, at which point I was shaking uncontrollably and nearly in tears about my near-death experience. Jamie kept banging on about my boob hanging out of my bra and when I looked up I saw Jamie's dad looking over to make sure I was OK. I awkwardly adjusted my strap quickly in haste, praying to GOD that his dad didn't see my naked bosom. However, in the words of my great friend Mr. Thacker: Sod the boob! Even if Jamie's dad did catch a glance, he never brought it up, but came over to make sure I was all right which was sweet. But ever since that experience I have been far too terrified to go further into the sea than my waist.

Penzance was the definition of gorgeous and it had so much to offer - from sandy tropical-like beaches to cute high streets with non-mainstream shops. It really brought me and my boyfriend closer together as a couple - we even cooked dinner together one night to say thank you to his parents for letting me come along (although it was VERY stressful having him in the kitchen!) It was a holiday I would definitely never forget and I would 100% be willing to go back there again - which I'm planning to do this summer: camp for 4 days in Cornwall somewhere near one of it's breath-taking beaches - as long as the waves aren't towering over me!

No comments:

Post a Comment